Favorite Cherry Pie Recipe
2 (16 ounce) cans pitted tart red cherries, water pack
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 drops red food coloring
Pastry for 2 crust, 9-inch pie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup of liquid. In a large saucepan, combine reserved cherry liquid, sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubble, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in drained cherries, almond extract, allspice, nutmeg, butter and food coloring. Cool.
- Pour cherry mixture into pastry lined pie plate. Top with lattice crust. Seal and flute edges.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until pie is golden brown.